Ski holidays can be better than ever when you take great powder and add to it accommodations that’ll knock your socks off. Truly, a ski vacation is made countless times better when you find just the right luxury lodging spot where you and your traveling companions can enjoy comfortable sleeping arrangements, delicious food, wonderful amenities, and more, all wrapped up in a package that’s convenient to the slopes.
In Europe, there are a number of fine luxury ski resorts that fit that description. They range from homey chalet-like accommodations, where you’ll feel warm and cozy, to sleek, modern hotels with contemporary furnishings and the latest in amenities. Choose one of our favorites listed below and you’ll be treated to a vacation that’ll take your breath away, whether you’re soaring down the slopes, basking in the sauna, or partaking of a particularly scrumptious meal.
· Hotel Nevai, Verbier, Switzerland – If you’re looking for super cool and contemporary, Hotel Nevai in lovely Verbier is right up your alley. Though it looks fairly traditional on the outside, on the inside you’ll find 33 beautiful rooms and 2 amazing suites with modern Alpine-inspired décor including hardwood floors, cozy linens, state-of-the-art bathrooms, and much more. Its Elemis Spa is homey and comforting and the restaurant is one of the best in town. All the cool people hang out here!
· Mont Cervin Palace, Zermatt, Switzerland – In this elite location, Mont Cervin takes the prize! A staple of luxury since 1852, the hotel recently completed renovations that had been ongoing for the last 10 years or so, allowing it to remain a top choice of the international elite. Situated at the foot of the Matterhorn, it boasts a lovely Alpine elegance that includes simple but comfortable furnishings in the rooms and common areas, a spectacular pool and beauty spa, lovely in-house dining options, an ultra-impressive wine cellar, and – of course – close proximity to some of the best skiing in the world.
· Badrutt’s Palace Hotel, St Moritz, Switzerland – Combining history, elegance, and the best five-star service available, Badrutt’s Palace is truly a treasure, albeit one that’ll cost you a bundle. But if top-notch accommodations are a must for you, you can’t get much better. Spring for a Grand Deluxe room, which provides you with unmatched views of the mountains and Lake Moritz, enjoy plenty of pampering in the Palace Spa, and check out all six of the incredible onsite restaurants. For families with child, the Kids’ Club Palazzino is excellent and runs from 8 am to 8 pm.
· Cheval Blanc, Courchevel, France – A ski-in/ski-out chalet usually described as a “mansion”, Cheval Blanc is located at Courchevel 1850, one of the most exclusive ski destinations in the world. The 36 rooms and suites here each have their own unique personality provided by their individual designs. It’s not unusual to find what the hotel describes as “mountain” fabrics in your room, like fur bedspreads and cashmere blankets. Each also includes a so-called “floating bath” and a sauna. The spa is ultra-luxurious and the infinity pool with waterfall is amazing. For lovers of great food, the two-Michelin-Star Le 1947 is just about perfect. (The other eateries onsite aren’t too shabby either!)
· Tennerhof Hotel, Kitzbühel, Austria – This small five-star hotel in this lovely section of the Austrian Alps is situated on a plateau overlooking the town and surrounded by the mountains. Breathtaking! One of the smallest five-star establishments in the world, it boasts only 39 rooms and suites as well as a history of fine service and tradition. The accommodations truly immerse you in Austrian luxury, with traditional furnishings that are simply lovely. The Kupferstube Restaurant offers impressive regional creations and the hotel has a wine cellar with an amazing collection of international vintages. The Tennerhof has fewer amenities than the larger luxury hotels but it’s perfect for those who want a simple, luxury stay without the noise and commotion of the bigger establishments.
· Cristallo Spa Hotel and Golf Resort, Cortina, Italy – Situated in the beautiful Dolomites, the Cristallo has received countless Readers’ Choice and Editor’s Choice awards from luxury travel publications. As the only 5-star resort in the Dolomites, it’s popular with the tony crowd and is nearly always booked – summer and winter. The bright and sunny rooms and suites are enchanting and including indulgent cotton and silk textiles, Gustavian-style furnishings, and plenty of space. Amenities include the ultra-opulent Ultima Spa, covering two stories and boasting a treatment menu as long as your arm. In the summer, the golf course is a big attraction, of course, but in the winter guests simply come for the amazing location, top-notch restaurants, and superior service as well as the hotel’s proximity to great skiing.